Thursday, September 29, 2011

Travel Diaries, Day 3: Platypus Wine Tour



Since we booked our tickets for our anniversary vacation (back in May), I'd been looking forward to our wine tour :) We booked our day long wine tour of the Russian River Valley with Platypus, after hearing rave reviews floating around the blog world. I am so glad we did!


It did not disappoint.

I knew I was going to love the wine. … But it was so much more than just sipping from glassy globes filled with gem colored nectar.


… The science fascinated me.


...The company (we were in a group with 2 other couples, and our tour guide, Stanley, was superb!) welcomed me, made me comfortable, and made me laugh.


...The landscape took my breath away.


Throughout the course of the day, we visited 5 different wineries, each delightfully different:



After the first winery, we passed around a cheese plate to help keep up our strength. …Seriously. Is there anything better than cheese and wine?!


After our tasting at the Dutton Estate, we enjoyed a lovely picnic alfresco: lunch meat sandwiches on croissants, a quinoa/veggie salad, pears and apples. We relaxed in the shade, basking in the glow of the wine & camaraderie, chatting and getting to know the people we were spending the day with.

At the end of the day, we toted our *ahem* 10 bottles of wine off the bus and returned to our hotel room exhausted but deliriously happy.


It's a day we'll remember for a long, long time :)


Your Turn: Are you a wine drinker? If so, what is your favorite kind of wine? ... I'm a merlot fan, like my daddy :) If you're not a wine drinker (or just tell me anyway!), tell me about the most beautiful place you've ever visited!