Monday, September 19, 2011

2


Dear Jon ~

2 year ago today I was shaking beside you at the altar, well aware of the enormity of what I was doing. We'd known each other for years, so it wasn't a surprise to anyone, including us, when we decided to get married, but I was a little nervous just the same. Giddily excited.... absolutely overwhelmed with love & happiness ... but nervous.

I think I had every right to be nervous... after all, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. My parents had set a wonderful example for me as I was growing up, but sustaining and nourishing a marriage is not something one can learn just by watching. There was so much I didn't know... and there is so much that I still need to learn.

In addition to learning how to be a wife, I am still in the process of learning how to be me. ... But you have been my anchor. You love me in spite of and because of my flaws, which, I am sorry to say, I seem to discover more of those along the way, too ;) You believe in my dreams but you are constantly encouraging me to move, ingraining the truth on my heart that sometimes you cannot wait for the "right chance" to fall into your lap, you need to chase it down and pour your heart and soul in 100% from the get-go.

I love your strength and and kindness. ... Your patience astounds me. You are teaching me, every day, how to love you. And that is a sacred task that I give thanks for every single day. And you? Jon, no one could love me like you do ...

We took each other "for better or for worse"... and this has been a really good year for us. Last year had some sadness & upheaval ... but this year has been a year of settling in and putting down roots. I know that some years will be hard and others will be good-upon-good, but no matter what comes our way, I know that I can handle it with you by my side.

You are my best friend, my partner in crime, and the love of my life.

I want to be with you for 2 years x infinity.

Happy Anniversary.

~ Amy


"I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

...

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.

You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all."

-Roy Croft