Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Challenge Day #7: Company

Tomorrow afternoon, J's best friend from is coming into town from Texas. J and Ben have known each other pretty much forever (which, I have just been informed, means since they were in middle school together).

And so, in preparation for our guest (who is, of course, more family than guest, really), I went into "deep clean mode" this afternoon.
Unfortunately for everyone involved (which was, pretty much, just me... but poor J got an ear-full when I made it back inside...) "deep clean" also involve pulling some monster weeds:
Oh.Sweet.Heaven. I think these weeds almost did me in. Apparently there is something to "keeping up with the yard work". Gah.

However, as is often the case in life, not even the bad stuff (read: weeds) was all bad. I discovered these lovelies in one of our back flower beds. I have no ides what they are, or how they got there -- they might even be weeds, for all I know, but they mak me happy, so I'm not pulling them :)

And how are you, friends? I hope you have been having wonderful weeks :) Mine has been pretty good, if not (other than today) productive. I've started a new book (The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards) which I'm really enjoying; I made a fantastic batch of chocolate chip cookies that I've been munching through steadily (no one can tell me that real butter in no big deal :); and Gracie has been on 5 am snuggle patrol all week (which, I agree, isn't terribly convenient, but she's just so darn cute!)

Some other good things:

Good List
1. J. Last night's date night was really nice :) It's not like we don't talk to each other normally, but it just seems extra special to sit across from each other in the dim closeness of a restaurant and really focus on each other. I was comforting, romantic, fun and (not to be repetitive, but this word is just perfect here) nice.
2, Talking "wedding details" with Katie. I'm just so happy for her I think I could burst.
3. Lunch breaks spent in the library.
4. Spending time with my family, around the dinner table; telling stories and laughing so hard we cry.
5. Inspirational, motivational true stories. We (my family and I) watched a movie on Monday night called "Gifted Hands", which is based on the real life story of Dr. Benjamin Carson. It was wonderful-- so positive & uplifting.
6. Heart shaped post-it notes.
7. The way the leaves flip over before a thunderstorm.
8. Vanilla ice cream
9. A weekend full of exciting activities (youth group is starting up!)
10. "I love you, not for who you are, but for who I am when I am with you..." - Roy Croft. I realize every day just how blessed I am by those around me; their kindness, their wisdom and the small, unspoken ways in which they are shaping me every day into the person I am meant to be.

What are some of your good things this week?

And finally, just for fun, here is a new song that I'm loving: Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch. It's too good of a song & too good of a tie in with today's "Challenge theme" not to share!

Have a fabulous "rest of your Wednesday" ... More tomorrow :)