Monday, February 14, 2011

On love ...

All right, full disclosure: I meant to publish this post... uhm, Monday :) I had my poem all typed up and the photos queued up in i*photo to edit, and then I got distracted. ...You know, it happens especially to those of us that are blessed with shorter than average attention spans Sigh.

But, you know what? Rather than table this post and save it for another occasion (which, realistically means that I send it to the post graveyard... I have so many 'beginnings' in my "edit posts" category, eagerly awaiting redemption...I digress...) I have decided to publish it today, two days after Valentine's Day. Rebellious, no? But I'm doing this because, you know? when it comes down to it, and you strip life of all it's frills and formalities... it's all about love.

So I've got a little poem at the end of the post for you to enjoy... but first, I'll take care of a little business :)

You may remember that in this post, I hinted about a new thematic series that I was going to work on throughout the rest of the year... My birthday tribute to my father was the first in the series.

As I was "taking a blog time-out" in December & working to find my voice, my first order of business was to step back and take a look at what I've been writing. And very quickly it became clear to me that my favorite posts, the ones I was most proud of, were on the subjects I am most passionate about. "Well, duh", I'm sure you're thinking... but this was kind of a hard won revelation. There is such a variety of good writing out there; different audiences, different approaches and different conversation styles; and I think (a necessary) part of my growth included dabbling in a little bit of everything (everything except food blogging. I mean, a girl who eats cookies for breakfast really has to draw the line somewhere, right?)

But, with that said, I know what I feel good about, and that's the direction that I'm headed with Amy Around the Corner. I'm calling the new series "Love Letters", because essentially, that's exactly what it is: a series of love letters to the people in my life who have made a big difference in my world.

I've always been better at writing than speaking my mind-- ask anyone. And love letters? Well, they're kind of my specialty. See, even though Jon & I have known each other for (woah.) 10 years, and have been "together" for 8, there was a time (about 6 months total, during my sophomore year of college) that we weren't dating. ...But I was still madly in love with him (ugh. romantic, sure. fun? Noooooo.) and because I believed with all my heart that we would end up together someday, I wrote him a love letter for every day that we were apart. Which, you know, gave me a lot of practice ;)

So while this new series may not be your typical "romantic" love letters, they are love letters all the same. Because if there's anything that I've learned in my 24 years, it's that I've never regretted telling someone I love how much they mean to me. ...So this new series is to honor & celebrate that. (Look for the tag "Love Letters".)

And now, without further ado:



For my Valentine:

When I first met you I was young
... In fact, that I had no idea

what true love really was;
that this kind of love could actually exist.

I was idealistic, I was a dreamer
I was stubborn and unyielding to reality.


But you believed in me

You stood beside me when I could hardly bear
to see
myself.


You loved me.


I owe my world to you, and bringing you into my life was one of the best things that has ever happened to me.



(P.S.: Gracie, Mama is so proud of you for the way you handled yourself at the vet on Monday. I knew you were scared, but you did so well, just snuggling into me as if to say, "Please take my home now!" You were so good. Thank you for handling the situation with grace, and living up to your name :)


P.P.S. : And because Monday today is all about spreading the love, much much love & happiness to this lovely lady, who just announced that she & her husband are expecting their first child! Congratulations, Samantha!