Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spaghetti Night

Happy hump day, bloggies! (..And happy Cinco de Mayo!! Tip back a cervesa or two for me tonight :)

Well, while today was unfortunately "one of those days", it redeemed itself this evening with 'Spaghetti Night' (which was anything BUT unfortunate!)

Now, I know we've all got our own 'spaghetti nights' ... those evenings when it feels like everything has just gotten to be a little too much and nothing but comfort food will do to soothe your tummy and your spirits. You may know these nights as something different ('Chinese takeout night'? 'pizza night'? 'wine & chocolate night**'?)

** Eh hem: I would like to state for the record that I have never done 'wine & chocolate night' (at least in the dinner sense, as we are discussing here), as my (wonderful, loving, MEAT eating) husband would never allow it. J happens to be a very traditional 'meat and potatoes' type of man... and I choose to love him in spite of that (while attempting to introduce some variety with varying degrees of success every once in a while, naturally!) Of course, if we (hypothetically of course) were talking in the general sense, my husband one might argue that 'wine & chocolate night' is every night .... I digress.

Anyway, I think the fact that my 'comfort food night' = spaghetti is due in large part to my parents. We didn't eat spaghetti too often, but we did rely on it as our go-to meal on the needs-to-be-quick-because-we're-exhausted-but-happy nights -- like the first night on vacation, after a long day of travel. (To keep this tradition alive, J & I cooked spaghetti together on the first night of our honeymoon :)

Spaghetti continued it's designated 'comfort food' role in my life as I got older, becoming my runner's meal of choice for carbo-loading before a race. When I was in high school, fall Friday nights were spent with the cross country team in celebration and anticipation of the next day's meet. Clearly, spaghetti is destined to remain first and foremost in my heart as my favorite go-to comfort food.

...Lord help us all J if I ever become spaghetti intolerant...

Anyway, it's Wednesday, and you know what that means: LIST DAY!

Enjoy:

Good List
1. J. My fabulous, hilarious, meat-loving husband. May our days always be filled with this much laughter and love.
2. Coffee...
3. Running in the morning. Love, LOve, LOVE. (now to keep it up for at least 20 more days... 21 days builds a habit, right?!) Although it's hard to drag myself out of bed initially, I love the cool of the early morning, the pinky-reds as the new day comes into being, and the soft, sparkly dampness of the waking world.
4. Spaghetti (duh.)
5. Library books.
6. Leaf blowers. (Oh. My. What did we do before these?! My lovely neighbor lent me his last night to blow the grass off the sidewalk after J mowed, and it took the time down to about 3 minutes flat. Glorious.)
7. New projects (J & I have our work cut out for us this weekend, as we are breathing new life into a dining table and chairs that used to be my parents. We'll be re-covering the chair cushions and refinishing the top of the table. I couldn't be more excited -- although your good thoughts are appreciated, as you wouldn't exactly call me a "crafty person" ... I'll keep you updated!)
8. Pens & "Fresh" notebooks
9. Sometimes, making a lot of noise in the kitchen is absolutely called for. You know what I mean. Banging pots and pans can be quite therapeutic :)
10. Two "fuzzies" sleeping next to me as I write. Did you know that cats can purr in their sleep?! Love it.

A few GPs
(GP = "guilty pleasures". Also known as: "things I might be slightly embarrassed to admit pause before I admit that I love" ...)
  • Sunday afternoon naps
  • Singing at the top of my lungs in the car
  • Glee
  • Jacob
  • Sweatpants
  • Eating spoonfuls of peanut butter straight out of the jar
  • Piles and piles of unread books
  • OPI nail color
  • Nickelback
  • Peanut butter-(marshmallow) fluff sandwiches
Questions: What is your "spaghetti night"? What are some of your GPs?

No comments:

Post a Comment