Saturday, January 22, 2011

2011



Odd numbers (or perhaps I should say, more correctly, "odd integers") have always fascinated me. If I'm asked to pick a number between 1 and 10, it will always be 3, 7 or 9. Always.

I think part of the reason why I love odd numbers is because they have such individuality to them. You cannot divide an odd number in half without obtaining a decimal answer-- it cannot be wholly divided and it retains parts of the original. And I think that's cool. It follows a basic truth that I have always believed about myself, so innately that I take it for granted most of the time: no matter where I am, what I'm doing, or what outside forces are acting on me to pull me in different directions, I am me. Unique and indivisible.

And all this goes to say, I'm pretty darn excited for 2011.

While I cannot begin to predict where all I'll be going this year (and, you know, part of me doesn't even want to try... aren't some of the best stories rooted in surprises and plans that did not work out exactly as projected?) there are a couple business items I would like to address, which will give you a general sense of direction for the next year.

For a long time now, I have been struggling with the idea of "finding my voice"-- which, when you boil it down, means finding what I'm really good at and doing it consistently. Finding my niche as a writer.

But you know... that's an awfully hard thing to do. And while I've been silent for the past month, I've been mulling this over and over and over. Searching the depths of my heart and soul to find the passion... to find the me that has been lurking below the surface this past year + of blogging, just waiting for her moment to shine.

And you know what? I think I've found her.

I won't go slapping a "label" on myself just yet (i.e.: this is a "blah blah" blog) ... although I have absolutely no qualms about saying, big picture, that this is a healthy living blog ... because I believe that healthy living is, above & beyond all else, about loving yourself and embracing all the possibilities of you-- truly living every moment. (...and that treating yourself right with exercise and nourishing, mouth-watering entrees is just the icing & sprinkles! on the cake.)

But, labeled or not, I do have some promises for you. Promises that will forge a new path for the coming year, and help to define "Amy Around the Corner" a little bit more.

Without further ado, I present to you:

My Blogger's Manifesto
  • I promise not to write just for the sake of writing, or to get up a certain number of posts per week. I promise you quality, and that everything I press publish on will be something I am proud of.
  • With that said, though, I promise you at least 2 posts per week.
  • I promise you honesty. I will not be a tease & say things like "I've been worried about some things" and then not tell you what. In my next post I will tell you exactly what I've been dealing with this past month... and how it played out. Writing honestly means that not every post is going to be dripping with sunshine & butterflies (although, in the spirit of honesty, I admit to you that I am an optimist.... so there will be a decent amount of sunshine) -- I am going to write about things that I struggle with, because I believe that somewhere out there, someone else has dealt with the same thing.
  • I promise you pictures :) I do not promise you LOTS of pictures, or gallery quality pictures. But I will give (& take, hehe) more pictures this year.
  • And finally, I promise you that the good lists will keep on coming :) Creating them is such a treasured ritual to me... and I think that they are becoming an integral part of my voice here. I love to share them with you. The lists speak from my heart; sometimes more eloquently than any essay ever could.
Won't you join me on this new journey in the new year? I'm thinking 2011 is going to be pretty wonderful :)

(Hello, bloggies! I've missed you!)